On this page:
- Professional Training
- Licenses and Certificates
- Professional Healthcare Experience
- Educational Experience
- Selected Continuing Education Courses completed
Coast Life Support District, 2016
Emergency Medical Technician (EMT)
American College of Traditional Chinese Medicine, 2009
Master’s of Science in Traditional Chinese Medicine (MSTCM)
Southwest School of Botanical Studies, 2006
Programs in Herbal Therapeutics, Constitutional Energetics, and Materia Medica
Spirit and Practice of Herbalism, Susan Weed, 2005
Independent study program in feminist, nourishing traditions of healing
Alive and Well Institute of Conscious Bodywork, 2005
Swedish and Esalen massage techniques, Polarity Therapy, Reflexology
Sage Mountain Herbal Learning Center, 2004
Distance learning program in basics of herbal medicine
Ohlone Center of Herbal Studies (now Berkeley Herbal Center), 2003
Apprenticeship in Herbal Foundations
Licenses and Certificates
Licensed Acupuncturist, 2009-present
California Acupuncture Board, License# AC 13328
Nationally Registered Emergency Medical Technician, 2016-present
California Certified Emergency Medical Technician, 2016-present
Coastal Valley Emergency Medical Services, EMT #E148522
Wildnerness First Aid Certificate, 2015
Continuing Education Approved Provider, 2011-present
California Acupuncture Board
Professional Healthcare Experience
Founder and Lead Acupuncturist and Herbalist
Yerba Buena Community Acupuncture, San Francisco, CA; 2010-2018
Created the largest community acupuncture clinic in San Francisco, providing over 50,000 affordable acupuncture treatments in five years of practice and establishing a community center which still operates today. Key outcomes:
- Founder of a community-based social business providing accessible healthcare to a broad spectrum of San Francisco residents, doing everything from marketing to bookkeeping to clinical care to training
- Grew from solo practice to being open 7 days a week with a full-time staff of five clinicians and three office support staff, providing 15,000 treatments per year as well as bodywork, herbal, and educational services
- California Acupuncture Board-approved provider of professional CEU acupuncture training courses, developed key community acupuncture training materials, served as practice mentor for other acupuncturists in professional development
Clinical Intern in Acupuncture and Herbal Medicine
American College of Traditional Chinese Medicine Community Clinic, San Francisco, CA; 2005-2009
Clinical rotations in groups, pairs, and solo, including patient intake, diagnosis and pattern differentiation, physical exam, acupuncture prescription and treatment, custom herbal prescription and formulation, application of moxibustion, tui na, gua sha, and cupping. Over 1,000 clinical hours completed under the direct supervision of:
Jung Sik Kim, DAOM, MSTCM, LAc
Aileen Huang, MB/BS, M.Pharm, MSTCM, LAc
Denise Hsu, MB/BS, LAc.
Ai-de Men, MS, LAc
Daniel Jiao, DAOM, L.Ac.
Jason Su, DAOM, MB/BS, LAc
Bingzeng Zou, PhD, DC, MB/BS, L.Ac.
Mark Frost, MSTCM, LAc.
Sharon Hennessey, DAOM, MSTCM, LAc.
Anita Huang, DAOM, MSTCM, LAc.
Stanley Leung, MB/BS, LAc.
Ning Pan, MB/BS, LAc
Kaylah Cheryl Sterling, MEd, MTOM, LAc
Yuan-Jin Tao, MB/BS, LAc
Clinical Intern in Auricular Medicine
American College of Traditional Chinese Medicine Ear Clinic, San Francisco, CA; 2006-2009
Clinical internship performing diagnosis, pattern differentiation, auricular prescription and needling in a group setting provided by donation. Clinic supervision and instruction completed under Pamela Olton, MT (ASCP), LAc.
Catherine S. Fehrmann, MD, Berkeley, CA and San Anselmo, CA; 2001-2003
- Educated patients about alternative and holistic treatment modalities
- Assisted doctor in using applied kinesiology for diagnostic information.
- Applied color therapy, magnetic and energetic treatments as determined by the doctor.
- Clinic setup and clean-up, remedy preparation, inventory, patient scheduling, bookkeeping
Women’s Medical Group: Mt. Kisco, NY 1997
- Clinic and office assistant in busy OB/GYN practice
- Appointment reminders, insurance assistant, filing, hand-holding for nervous patients
- Created and implemented new organizational systems for transition to larger practice
Sacred Earth Apprenticeship
Earth Activist Training, 2017-2018
- Developed and co-taught two seasons of year-long, intensive apprenticeships in magical and practical healing in collaboration with Starhawk.
- Hands-on residential intensives included courses in propagating, planting, growing, harvesting and preparing native, Western and Chinese healing herbs
Continuing Education Courses for Acupuncturists
In collaboration with Yerba Buena Community Acupuncture, NorCal Community Acupunks network, and People’s Organization of Community Acupuncture. Courses developed and taught included:
- Speed Skills for Community Acupuncturists
- How to Diagnose and Come up with a Treatment Plan in 30 seconds or Less
- Chinese Herbal Medicine in a Community Setting
Selected Continuing Education Courses completed
TCM Treatment of Parkinson’s Disease
Zee Lo, OMD, PhD, Lac; 2019
Traditional Western Herbalism for Acupuncturists
Timothy Nymond, ND; 2018
Internal Pathologies: Master Tung Acupuncture
Brad Whisnant, DAOM, Lac; 2017
Global Balance with Tan and Tung
David Lesseps, LAc, 2015
The Effect of Chinese Herbs on Endometriosis from Western and Eastern Medicine Perspectives John Chen, Pharm.D., Ph.D., O.M.D., L.Ac., 2015
Herb-Drug Interactions for the Collection Formulas
John Chen, Pharm.D., Ph.D., O.M.D., L.Ac., 2013